This is a Wayans brother effort – they have so many brothers and so many efforts – this one is the brainchild of Keenan Ivory Wayans, an older sibling and is in much the same vein as White Chicks and the Scary Movie films.
I would argue that this is better than those films but it seems a moot point, you either like those sorts of films or you don’t.
In the main I don’t… But if any of the following sounds at all interesting or amusing then hunt this down, but be warned the following points represent the best parts of I’m Gonna Git You Sucka.
– A guy named Flyguy dies. The cause of death is OG – OverGold – the boy simply wore too many gold chains and collapsed under the weight of them. (this was made in the 90s folks.)
– The Rich White Guy who represents the Bad Guy is named Mr Big.
– The cast features many actors renowned for their roles in Blaxploitation films of the 70s and 80s, they include Jim Brown and Isaac Hayes.
– The lead guy, an ex-army vet (admin not combat) named Jack tries to beat up a midget.
– The love interest has a face like a horse and a body like a 4WD. I don’t think this was supposed to be funny though…
– A pimp is released from a long stint in jail and dons his pimptastic gear once again before hitting the streets to open ridicule. His outfit is replete with actual goldfish swimming in the heels of his platform shoes.
That’s about it. Chris Rock gets an early cameo as a hungry teen who wants to buy 1 rib (not a serve) and a sip of Coke (not a can). There are a few chuckles but no real laughs of note, which is perhaps why this is so hard to track down these days (I watched this on a battered VHS from the local video stores ever diminishing supply).
Final Rating – 6 / 10. Ultimately this is once again a case of a catchy title with precious little behind it but cameos, sight-gags and a couple of vaguely clever concepts. Hardly the worst film ever but neither is this a glowing recommendation.